Why I chose not to get a second opinion yet

22117502When talking to people I am often asked why I didn’t get a second opinion about by cancer treatment. Many cancer patients in the area go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester and believe I should have done so as well. In this post I will explore why I chose not to get a second opinion at Mayo, at least not yet.

Time is the main reason I chose not to get a second opinion. Early on in this blog I shared some of the breathing problems I had leading up to my diagnosis. At the time it appeared I might have some sort of lung disorder. When a large lymph node appeared on my neck it allowed my diagnosis to change towards a type of cancer. When I was able to view the results of a CT scan it was quite clear that a lymph node was obstructing my windpipe. Each day my breathing got worse. By the time I had a surgery to install a chemo port I was happy to be put under just so I could get relief from my breathing problems. My oncologist believed that chemo would reduce the size of the lymph nodes and allow me to breathe once again. I am happy to say she was correct. Had I waited any longer to receive chemo treatment I am not sure I could have physically or emotionally endured those breathing problems any longer. Even delaying treatment for a few days to get a second opinion may have been too much for me to endure at that time.

Another reason I chose not to get a second opinion is that I decided I liked the local oncologist. Prior to seeing the PET scan my wife and I spent some time getting to know the oncologist. At the end of that meeting there was some trust established. The fact the oncologist was part of a larger team out of Sioux Falls also helped to enhance that trust. Each case, including mine, was reviewed by a team of oncologists. No doctor is perfect, and it is reassuring to know multiple sets of eyes would be reviewing my case as time went on. Plus there is the fact my oncologist is also a hematologist. I am diagnosed with grade 2 follicular lymphoma, which is a type of blood cancer. Everything I’ve researched on the topic said it is important for me to have an oncologists that also happens to be a hematologist. If I had a different type of cancer it is quite likely I would have gone to Mayo for a second opinion.

I would say the last major reason I haven’t chosen to get a second opinion at this time is a wish to be treated locally. It is only about a twenty-minute drive to the hospital from where I live. Chemo wears the body out and it is nice to get home where I can lay in my own bed right away after my treatments. There is a healing power of being in ones own home. It is true I could have gotten a second opinion and still be treated locally. But I really didn’t want to put the stress of additional travel on my wife. She has had her life turned upside down just as badly as me by the cancer diagnosis. Adding trips to the middle of Minnesota would have increased the stress on her.

After getting through my treatments hopefully the cancer spread throughout my body will be pushed into remission. At some point during remission it is likely the cancer will come back in full strength. I quite possibly will get a second opinion when that occurs. Hopefully time won’t be such a large factor at that time. But even if I do get a second opinion I would like to keep my local oncologist and do my treatments locally. We will see what the future holds.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.